Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tuesday, July 6th, 2010:

"What is that strange chirping, well not really chirping, more like a screeching chirping sound?" I ask Gary at 6AM ET (5AM local - I know it, I wish I could learn to sleep in. Gary wishes it for me too I am certain). Uh oh! We have some DC power, but apparently not enough as the refrigerator lost power sometime during the night and that screechy chirping noise is our battery alarm informing us of the problem - RATS! I knew I should not get too cocky about dry camping. Gotta get Gary up and start working on this before it gets hot and our food goes bad (small spaces and rotting food make very bad companions). Oh well, we will just start the generator and all will be well. GUESS AGAIN! The generator will not start as it contains a battery powered ignition. Ok, plan B, we start the vehicle and it will charge the RV battery banks. The vehicle starts up fine - PHEW I think. We start to head down the highway, but after an hour, still no charge in the RV banks. UGHH - I am not an electrically minded individual! This means I am at the mercy of my resourceful hubby (remember my Scottish temper - I abhor feeling useless and at the mercy of someone else. I know, I should just let him handle this and perhaps that would have been wise, but when I feel anxious I am not in the least bit wise). I begin to over think the situation - that starts me worrying - worrying shoots my anxiety level sky high (I have to work today, got 5 conference calls; need access to my PC and that means I need the batteries and the converter, I told my new boss that this travel and work thing works out well and 3 of those calls are with her - can you see the mental meltdown on the horizon?). So we pull into a Cracker Barrel and start making calls to RV service centers. When no one can take us for at least a week - we call the KOA we plan to stay the night at. Thank goodness for the folks at the Casey, IL KOA (caseykoa@caseykoa.com). Glen talks Gary through how to jump start the generator with the little yellow battery jump thing he has made me keep in my car for years "just in case." We are back on the road in no time - with the generator running - and Glen will be waiting for us at the Kampground to check out our electrical issues. I hop on my PC, work like a crazy person to catch up on the (wait I have only missed an hour of work - and all that stress for an hour - I AM A CRAZY person) and get everything done I needed to do today.

As we are driving down Route 57 we come over a hill and see this large white monument in the distance - in the middle of corn fields. As we get closer we see that it is a HUGE white cross. Intrigued and between conference calls we decide to exit and see what this is all about. The Cross at the Crossroads (http://www.crossusa.org/) is a foundation that exists "to share the Christian message of love, forgiveness and eternal life through Jesus Christ with as many as possible through programs, activities and the symbolism of the Cross." The cross is almost 20 stories tall and has 10 displays emblazoned with the 10 commandments at the base - each display with an audio message about that commandment and how it applies in modern life. I am in awe of this monument and its message (and I am grateful for the love and forgiveness of both my husband and my Savior on this day of my mental meltdown). Isn't it interesting how these things just show up on your horizon when you really need them? Now, in a better state of mind we make our way to the KOA - Glen helps Gary with the immediate electrical issue and we are settling in for the night. Gary is off to do a little fishing while I finish this blog. Tomorrow - another day, another adventure.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jim said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.